Serves 2 – 3
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 large, straight and firm zucchinis (one zucchini per person)
Pine Nut Cream:
- 150g pine nuts
- 1 cup almond milk (please don’t use crap almond milk, always check the label there should be 3 or 4 ingredients or less, I like to use Pure Harvest brand)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon black cracked pepper
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200g free range bacon
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- First make your zucchini noodles by whizzing them through a vegetable spiraler and set them aside.
- Make your pine nut cream by placing pine nuts, almond milk and nutritional yeast flakes in a blender and blitzing until smooth. The consistency should be a little runnier than thickened cream. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a small mixing bowl and set aside. This can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- When you are ready to serve your carbonara, add the eggs into the pine nut cream and mix with a fork until well combined.
- I like to work in two batches for this recipe as you probably will have too many zucchini noodles to fit in the pan. So divide all the ingredients in half and use half of everything in each batch.
- Use a large non-stick pan, place over medium heat, add olive oil and when hot add in half the garlic and bacon and cook for a few minutes stirring so to cook all sides.
- Add in half the pine nut cream mixture and zucchini noodles and stir well to combine, cook only for a few minutes as the zucchini noodles can become watery and overcooked quickly, this dish does not require much cooking. Set aside and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with some chopped up parsley and extra seasoning. Enjoy!
The Wholehearted Cook : http://thewholeheartedcook.com/