This beautiful dish makes a great inclusion to any christmas dinner menu.
125 gm brown sugar (see note)
50 gm fine salt
1 side ocean trout (about 1kg), skin on, pin-boned
150 gm jasmine rice
50 gm black tea
1 tbsp each orange-blossom water, Sherry vinegar and maple syrup
Juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
50 ml olive oil
Grilled peach salad
50 gm brown sugar
3 peaches, halved, stones removed
1 kg heirloom tomatoes, quartered and sliced
100 gm Moroccan olives (see note)
2 baby fennel, thinly shaved on a mandolin
1 cup(firmly packed) basil
- Combine sugar and salt and scatter all over trout, place trout in a non-reactive container and refrigerate to cure lightly (30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 120C. Spread rice and tea in a roasting pan. Brush excess cure mix off trout, place trout on a wire rack about 10cm above tea mixture and place pan over high heat on stovetop until it starts smoking (10-15 minutes). Cover with foil and roast in oven until trout is cooked to your liking (15-18 minutes for medium rare).
- For orange-blossom vinaigrette, blend ingredients, except oil, in a food processor, then add oil in a thin steady stream until emulsified.
- For grilled peach salad, heat a chargrill pan over high heat, sprinkle brown sugar on cut side of peaches and grill cut-side down until charred (4-5 minutes). Combine peaches, tomatoes, olives, fennel and basil in a bowl. Toss with vinaigrette to taste and serve with trout.
– Use agave, honey or any other natural sweetener as a substitute for brown sugar.
– Moroccan olives can be substituted with any black olives.
AT A GLANCE
- SERVES 6 PEOPLE
- 15 MIN PREPARATION
- 30 MIN COOKING (PLUS CURING)
Recipe sourced from the Gourmet Traveller.